Poultry bones, especially cooked poultry bones, are brittle. This, combined with their small size, makes them very dangerous for dogs. Veterinarians caution against feeding dogs bones of any kind, including poultry bones, as they can cause the following problems:
- Mouth and tongue injuries
- Obstruction of the throat or intestinal tract
- Bone fragments can pierce the lining of stomachs and intestines
- Rectal bleeding from sharp bone fragments
- Blockages that require emergency surgery
If you want to give your dog a bone, try a large hardy nylon or rubber chew toy bone or other size-appropriate chew toy. Some of them are even flavored, and your dog will live to chew another day.