Content provided by our partner Noah’s Ark Pet Crematory ~
Everyone knows that dogs love peanut butter as a treat and most brands are safe to give them. Unfortunately, several new brands of peanut butter and other nut butters are being sold with less sugar, but now include xylitol as a sweetener. That is the sweetener also used in sugarless gum, candy and baked goods. It can be deadly to dogs.
Swallowing even a small amount can cause serious health issues for dogs and cats. Many pet owners use peanut butter as a dog treat or to fill a Kong or disguise medications. It does not take much of this compound for it to be toxic to dogs. A typical stick of gum sweetened with xylitol has about 0.3-0.4 grams which means a stick and a half is toxic to a 10 pound dog. Please check the labels to make sure there is no xylitol in the peanut butter before giving to your dog.
Noah’s Ark Pet Crematory
2643 Old Bridge Road Manasquan, NJ 08736
732-528-6624 or 732-528-NOAH