Content provided by our partner, Surf Suds Laundromats ~
Here comes Spring and lots of pollen! Regular house cleaning can get rid of many allergy triggers and help relieve your symptoms.
Here are 10 tips to keep your house clean and your allergies under control.
- Vacuum once or twice a week. Make sure your vacuum has a HEPA filter. Some allergens are so small that they pass right through a regular vacuum filter.
- Cut clutter. Piles of boxes or clothing can trap dust and hide allergens like dust mites and cockroaches.
- Wear a mask when you clean. After you’re done with your housework, leave the house for a few hours. It limits your exposure to allergens kicked up into the air.
- Keep the bathroom free of mold. Scrub the tile regularly. Don’t forget the shower curtain, too. You may be able to toss it in the washing machine.
- Wash sheets weekly in hot water. Make sure it’s at least 130 F. That’s hot enough to kill dust mites. If your child has allergies, do the same with any washable stuffed animals.
- Don’t use scented cleaners or detergents. If you have allergies, the fragrances in cleaners can trigger symptoms. Look for fragrance-free products instead.
- Don’t air-dry laundry. Clothing left outside will pick up pollen and mold. Use the clothes dryer instead.
- Use a damp cloth and mop when cleaning. They’ll trap allergens instead of knocking them into the air.
- Clean outside entryways. Sweep or vacuum. The cleaner your path or patio is, the less likely someone is to track dust or pollen into your house.
- Don’t shampoo carpets. The leftover moisture could cause mold growth or increase dust mites.
Surf Suds Laundromats can help you get all your linens crisp and clean to help alleviate allergies!
Clean Is Our Guarantee!