Healthy food and St. Patrick’s Day may not sound like they go together, but there are those who do want to enjoy the treats of Ireland in a healthier version. This recipe is diabetic-friendly by using sugar substitutes. The author uses Splenda for her soda bread.Ingredients
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar substitute, baking soda and salt; cut in butter. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened. Fold in currants. Knead on a floured surface 8-10 times. Shape into a 7-in. round loaf; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pan to a wire rack.