Want to eat more cauliflower but just not sure what to do with it? These tasty cakes are a must-try recipe even if you’re thinking cauliflower isn’t for you.
Boil, steam, saute or roast the cauliflower ahead of time for extra fast meal prep and serve the cakes with salad or a piece of fish for a light and satisfying meal. Cauliflower and lower-fat Parmesan cheese are usually well tolerated by those who experience heartburn since they are baked instead of fried. There’s no extra grease, either.
- 2 cups cauliflower (cooked)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine cauliflower, egg, cheese, and breadcrumbs.
- Mash ingredients with a fork until well mixed.
- Using clean hands form into 8 cakes.
- Place cakes on prepared baking sheet and spray the tops with cooking spray cooking.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Ingredient Variations and Substitutions
If you can’t find fresh cauliflower at your local market, use frozen as it is just as nutritious as fresh.
These cakes are tremendously flavorful as they are but you can add an extra dimension of flavor by mixing in a handful fresh herbs like parsley, basil, or chives.
Cooking and Serving Tips
To make the tops of these cakes extra crispy, broil for 2 to 3 minutes before removing from the oven. If you do choose to broil, keep a close eye on them to be sure they don’t burn. Serve over a bed of fresh greens for a vegetarian lunch or as a side dish with a piece of lean meat or fish.
Recipe from: https://www.verywellfit.com/