Flu and cold season reminds us to wash our hands frequently, cover our mouths when we sneeze and stay home if we are sick. Did you know germs love to hide in our homes in places you may not think of while cleaning? Here are a few spots to add to your disinfectiong routine:
1. Light Switches One of the most easily forgotten items in our home or workplace that contain and spread the most germs is the light switch. With up to 217 bacteria per square inch, wiping down these germ spreaders is important for everyone’s health.
2. Bed Sheets and Towels When we are sick one of the most appealing places is our cozy bed or the comfort of a nice long shower. However, the comfiest place on earth and our favorite soft towels could be breeding the most germs. This cold and flu season make an effort to clean your towels and sheets at least once a week in hot water
3. Hairbrush and Combs How often do you wake up and comb or brush your hair without thinking too much about it? We all do! Many of us go about our morning or evening routine (even when we are sick) and don’t think twice about the germs that could be on our everyday items. With 72% of people never washing their comb or brush, germs, dust, old hair and more continue to live on and lead to scalp infections or dandruff. Don’t let this happen to you, clean your comb or brush today!
4. Toothbrush Holder Did you know your toothbrush holder could be the 3rd germiest item in your home? Many of us use this item on a daily basis without thinking to wipe it down regularly. Prevent the spreading of germs by washing your toothbrush holder on a regular basis.
5. Kitchen Appliances Are you aware that the kitchen sink holds more germs than our bathrooms sinks? As one of the most used places in our home, it comes as no surprise that our kitchen is hoarding a wide variety of germs. In addition to the kitchen sink, the average refrigerator seal tests positive 83% of the time for the common cold. Whether it is the kitchen sink, stove, microwave, or fridge, they all contain of cold and flu germs that can be prevented through proper sanitization.
5. TV Remote Nothing beats coming home, laying down on the couch and flipping on your favorite movie or TV show. But what if you knew that an array of germs were all over the remote? Each of our remotes hold approximately 70 bacteria per square inch. Stop germs in their tracks by wiping down your remote controls regularly!
6. Condiments How often do you or your loved ones reach for your favorite condiment during lunch or dinner each week? Or how about the communal condiments in the fridge at work? Avoid the spread of cold and flu germs by wiping down your favorite condiments and washing your hands before touching your food.
7. Car Interior Each day without thinking twice about it we get in and out of our car to go about our everyday routine. Whether that is picking up your kids from school, or going to and from work, the array of germs you and your loved ones are spreading on your door handle and inside interior is astounding. On average, the interior of our cars holds about 700 bacteria per square inch. Don’t wait, wipe down your car today!.