By Tracey Hall ~
I’ve just returned from a weekend trip to New England and because it was so cold up there and because I love soup, I made sure to have “chowda” several times during my visit. The creamy, white version is perfect for cold winter days, but I wanted to see if there is a healthier recipe I could make at home. I found one that incorporates cauliflower into the broth.
“Dairy-free and low-calorie New England-style clam chowder. Feel free to make it your own.”
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen cauliflower florets
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (10 ounce) cans whole baby clams
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onion; cook and stir until browned, about 10 minutes. Add 1 cup water and carrots. Bring to a boil; cover and cook until carrots are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Combine remaining 4 cups water, cauliflower florets, chicken bouillon, and garlic in a blender; blend until smooth. Pour over the onion and carrots in the pot.
- Stir baby clams and mushrooms into the pot. Simmer until hot, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe By: Betty Cracka