The countdown is on! If you’re the one hosting Thanksgiving dinner for the family this year, pretty soon you’ll be busy preparing for your guests. Though the main focus is on food preparation, you also need to get your house ready—especially if relatives are staying overnight.
Here are some tips to guide you as you prepare your home for your Thanksgiving guests:
- Get the ready bathroom ready – Next to the kitchen, the bathrooms should be your main focus. Bathrooms get a lot of use with a house full of guests, so make sure they are up to the occasion. Give it a thorough cleaning by scrubbing down the toilet, the sink, and the bathtub. Wipe the mirrors and re-stock your toilet paper. Put out fresh hand towels and try lighting a scented candle before the guests come over.
- Run the vacuum – If you don’t have time to vacuum the whole home, make sure to hit the key areas such as the entryway, bathrooms, living room, dining room and guest rooms.
- Empty the kitchen sink of dirty dishes – With Thanksgiving dinner preparation in full swing, you will have dirty dishes. Allow plenty of time to clean dishes and cooking utensils before guests come.
- Remove clutter – Things tend to accumulate around your home, streamline them before the company descends. Dust surfaces of the rooms where guests will be congregating. Make sure countertops and tables are free of clutter.
- Adjust the lighting – Turn on soft lights when your company comes. If overhead lights are too glaring, opt for lamps or candles.
- Make a place for coats and bags – Make sure that you have hanging space near the foyer for coats and bags. If there is no space in the foyer, assign a bedroom where guests could leave their belongings.
- Set the day to music – Improve the ambiance in your home by playing peaceful music as guests arrive. Make sure that the music is soft enough that it won’t interfere with conversation.